Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Wrapping Up, and Up Next

You may or may not have guessed this, but I've run out of steam with Nigella. I like the concept of the book, and I've certainly found a few new favorites (keema and the Vodka-Marinated Steak spring to mind), but this book feels unreliable to me. There were an alarming number of misses. Cheesecakelets were a mess. Hot cross buns were disgusting. The Quadruple Chocolate Cake, while delicious, included a step that resulted in Saran Wrap melting into the entire exterior of the cake. The cut-out cookies held up well, but had no flavor. Didn't like the Chili Con Carne. Maple-Roast Parsnips were waaaaa-aaa-aaay too sweet.

I'm out.

I'm going to keep Feast, because there were a few recipes that I did really love, and there are others that still look enticing. It's just so unreliable, though. I wouldn't run out and buy it, if I were you. This is especially disappointing to me, after I had so much success with Nigella Kitchen, which continues to be one of my most-used books. Oh well.

Plus, the book is now falling apart. Awesome.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to focus on my next book: My Calabria: Rustic Family Cooking from Italy's Undiscovered South.
How beautiful is that cover? The whole book is gorgeous.
Calabria is the region to the south of where I live now (Campania). I'm pumped about this book because A) I'm trying hard to learn to cook Italian food so I can replicate the flavors that I love so much after I return to the States, and B) I can buy all the ingredients I need for these meals at my local supermarket. It will save me buckets of time each week if I don't need to make a trip to the Commissary (40 minutes from my house). I went there today and loaded up on peanut butter, English muffins, American cheese, black beans, and brown sugar, so I should be able to avoid going back for a little while. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment