Thursday, April 3, 2014

FFwD: Tuna-Packed Piquillo Peppers

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is for a basic cake called Visitandine. I'd posted about this cake a long time ago, when I'd been working on Around My French Table without any knowledge that there was already a cooking group dedicated to it. I wasn't overly in love with it, so I figured this was a good opportunity to make up another recipe.

I've been stalling to make Tuna-Packed Piquillo Peppers for months. I've had the ingredients on hand for ages, and could have cooked it with the group, but was so uninspired that I let it slide. Might as well get it over with.

Instead of stuffing roasted red peppers (I couldn't find piquillo peppers) with the tuna/caper/olive/lemon zest and juice/parsley combo, I sliced the peppers and piled everything on top of arugula.
Not bad, not good. It just is.

Check it off the list.

16 comments:

  1. Yes, if I recall correctly, this was one to check off the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I enjoyed these, but not enough to repeat, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've repeated making the tuna filling. I like the flavors better than my usual tuna salad. On the other hand, stuffing the peppers was way too fussy. I like your salad interpretation better. Sorry you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try this recipe out but the stuffing part keeps me from it. I like your solution. a salad is always easier to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a bit fussy. I prefer Betsy's idea of just repeating the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never got this one made. I prefer your interpretation rather than stuffing little peppers….I know I would enjoy it as a salad. Looks pretty too! I could not find the Piquillo peppers either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this one stuffed. It definitely tastes different than as a salad which I have had similar salads before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its good to have things crossed off our lists! Good try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually loved this recipe, stuffed, warmed a bit. The piquillo peppers add a nice flavor, and are also good stuffed with goat cheese and capers (warmed too). Sorry this week didn't really work out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this one and piquillo peppers do have a unique flavor worth seeking out sometime. I have a jar here, want it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with you - I wasn't excited by the stuffed peppers. Maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't made the stuffed peppers yet but the other day as I was looking through the book I saw them and thought mmm they look nice but how am I supposed to stuff them? oh well maybe not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not made these yet, but will have to at some point I suppose. I am not a huge fan of tuna so this one may get a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I"m with Trevor in this one. Piquillo peppers make a great tapa and their flavor is different from regular roasted peppers. I like your salad though. It would make a great lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked this kinda because I had never worked with (nor, heard of) Piquillo peppers. Of course I didn't stuff them very well, a little messy. (They were fragile.) And I remember thinking my tuna-fish salad was much better. You didn't like the Visitandine? I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have missed so many recipes during my break! I remember seeing these on the schedule and thought I'd like to give them a go one day. Glad to read your thoughts, very helpful!

    ReplyDelete