Friday, December 6, 2013

FFwD: Orange-Almond Tuiles

Dorie says that tuiles are elegant little crispy cookies that offset creamy desserts beautifully.
Argh!
Apparently, I don't do elegant.

I didn't realize until I was already mixing the batter together that I used up all my almonds last week, so I replaced the finely chopped almonds with almond meal. I guess this caused my problem, because I followed all the other directions.

I couldn't get them off the baking sheet without crumpling them completely. Then, they  molded around and through the bars of my cooling rack.
Hey! One looks normal!!
They weren't crispy. They were very chewy. Caramel chewy. Oy vey.

I only made a few, since Dorie stipulates that they don't keep more than a day once baked, but that the batter will last a few days in the fridge. I doubt I'll even bake the remainder. They tasted good, but not good enough to make them worth the effort.

On the flip side, I made up the Compote de Pommes, Two Ways from a few weeks ago. It's apple sauce, but what apple sauce! I tasted the mash at the appropriate time for the "first way." It was fine, but nothing special. I let the apples continue to cook down for another hour.
Mmmmmmm
 That hour made all the difference in the world. The sauce became sweeter as it cooked. I didn't need to add any additional sugar, and omitted the butter Dorie adds at the end, because it was delicious just as it was. No need to add butter to apple sauce. I've been enjoying it in my yogurt all week.

13 comments:

  1. Seems we all had a little trouble with these. But your compote looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tuile experience is my tuile experience! Your compote looks delicious. I agree there is no need to add butter to applesauce but it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I burnt 2/3 of mine! Love that compote of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One winner out of two isn't bad! These were the most finicky cookies I've ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your and Guyla's tuile experience was mine too. Oh well. I made the compote again this week too. I just love the twist of adding vanilla. So different from the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wrap around the cooling rack bars is very elegant! (I'm feeling blissfully ignorant and pretty lucky, as I didn't get around to reading the P&Q's until just now...fear building at the thought of baking next batch with my dough!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used almond flour which would be just a little finer than the meal, and it worked well. I think your cookies look like they came out fine. You may have just tried to remove them from the cookies sheet a little too early, or you didn't have a good spatula for the job?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many of us had issues.

    I just baked another round using a sheet of parchment paper and it finally worked out for me. And these definitely needed to sit on the pan longer than the recipe indicated :-)

    No eggs in this dough, so I would vote for just eating it out of the bowl as is. Butter, almonds & OJ - what's not to love

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think everyone had problems with the Tuiles. However, the Apple compote was delectable! Yours looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, Ei, you're batting 500 and that's not bad. Wasn't that cooked down apple sauce something special? Everyone did imaginative things with the sauce so be sure to read the Posts from that week. I feel your pain with the elegant and fragile scenario. I am pretty heavy handed on the best of days. A light touch I do not have. So, this was a challenge for me also. On to chopped liver.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried almond meal and finely chopped almonds - neither worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used almond meal and my tuiles didn't work either, although yours do look better than mine did. Thanks for the reminder about the applesauce. I want to try cooking it for the extra hour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally made these and it was a bit disastrous for me, too.

    ReplyDelete