Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It Had to Happen Eventually

I didn't dislike my Open-Faced Tuna Sandwich with Arugula and Sweet-Pickle Mayonnaise (pg 66), but I didn't really like it, either. It is exactly what it sounds like.

A tuna steak is seasoned with salt, pepper, and herbs de provence, then grilled. Man, Giada's been giving my grill pan a workout. I hate cleaning that thing. Non-stick, my ass. I digress. In the last minute of grilling, top the tuna with a slice of cheddar. Toast an oiled slice of ciabatta bread on the grill pan, then smear it with a mixture of mayo and diced sweet pickles. Put the tuna on the bread, and top it with arugula and a drizzle of oil.

I'm not a fan of pickles in general, or sweet pickles in particular, so I was wary of this, but when eaten as a whole, it wasn't especially pickley. Honestly, the whole sandwich was pretty bland. I found myself wishing for more pickle flavor, just so something would liven it up. It is definitely not "out-of-this-world fantastic!" as promised in the intro.

My execution wasn't great, but I don't think I'd have liked it even if it came out exactly as Giada intended. A real ciabatta, instead of supermarket bread-fluff, would have helped. Also, I overcooked the tuna. The instruction to add the cheese in the last minute of cooking the fish threw everything off. I didn't think I'd sliced especially thick slabs, but it took at least two minutes, covered, for the cheese to melt. By then, the tuna was pretty well done.

Conclusion: Just okay. This is a non-repeater.

No photo today. Didn't realize my camera battery was dead until I went to snap the picture.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, open faced tuna sandwich. Not sure how I feel about that considering the first thing that pops into my mind is the canned stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up with your posts from this week, there were certainly some very tasty looking ones so maybe you were due for a not so great one. I'm definitely looking forward to more reviews from David Lebovitz's book since I have also contemplated buying it. Heck, those brownies may be all the convincing I need!

    ReplyDelete