Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Waste of Good Saffron

Chicken Couscous (pg 214) was a flop. A lot of spices went in the pot, but you'd never know it. This smelled lovely while it was cooking, but didn't taste like anything in the end.

I was turned off from the outset by the instructions to cook the chicken thighs in butter until they lose the raw texture, but that it's not necessary to brown them. I should have browned them anyway, but I prefer to cook a recipe as instructed the first time I'm making it. As expected, once the chicken boiled in stock with vegetables for 15 minutes, I was left with flaccid-skinned, ugly chicken thighs. Some of the rubbery skin bits broke off and were mixed in to the stew, which caused some unpleasant bites. I removed the skin from the chicken before serving, because it was too unsightly for company.

Not even the couscous, which is cooked in three cups of the broth from the chicken, spice, and veg, had much flavor.

This was a disappointing dish, and I wish I'd picked something else to serve as Hilary's first Dorie exposure. As Matt said, "This is a non-repeat."

Conclusion: Dislike. I do not have a good track record with Dorie's stews.

3 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. I don't have stew or couscous in normal rotation in my diet, so I'm taking your experience to heart. I'll brown the chicken when we make it for ffwD! By the way, I like how you type "veg". It reminds me of Karl Pilkington from The Ricky Gervais Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read an honest appraisal and your fix - ditching the chicken skin! Wow - you are dedicated to cook so many recipes, so quickly! BTW, I was just surprised by a comment from Dorie (The Dorie) about my slightly thumbs down review of Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones - so she is out there listening somewhere... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Karl, yummychunklet. Have you watched An Idiot Abroad, in which Ricky sends Karl off to see the wonders of the world? It is the funniest thing I've ever seen on television (besides It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.)

    Cocoa and Quinoa--what a thrill that Dorie commented on your review of her scones!! Even if your review wasn't so great. That's so weird to think that she's actually out there, checking to see how people respond to her recipes. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete