Sunday, May 15, 2011

Simple and Good

We had a birthday BBQ on Saturday. Because it looked effortless and fast, I made Mustard Batons (pg 15) to put out as something to nibble on, even though mustard is not one of my favorite flavors. This recipe truly could not be easier. Take store-bought puffed pastry, smear some mustard on half, fold it over, slice into bread sticks, adhere some poppy seeds to it via an egg wash, and bake.

I cut these into small nubbins, because we were having kids at the BBQ, and I didn't want great big sticks to be wasted if they (or I) didn't like them.
Cute, huh?
I never worked with puff pastry before, so I expected it to be doughier, like a pretzel. They were kind of crispy and flaky, though. It was good, it was just a surprise. I liked these, and could have eaten the whole bowl. Next time, I'll even smear a thicker coat of mustard on there. They also win points for prompting people to say, "You made these??" I sure did, and it only took a minute.

Conclusion: Liked it. It's a tasty little snack.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked them! I had to make mine with pesto because mustard isn't looked upon fondly in my apartment. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planned to make pesto and use that, because I remember reading that idea on your blog, but I ran out of time. I only made half the batch, though, so the second sheet of pastry is definitely getting pesto.

    ReplyDelete